One of the questions I get asked most often as a Realtor is “What do I need to do to get my home ready for resale?”. Choosing your improvements wisely can help you sell your home faster and add thousands of $dollars$ to its value. Kitchens and bathrooms are always a top priority but your home’s CURB APPEAL needs to be #1. First impressions are everything, even in real estate! You want passers-by to fall in love (at first sight) and envision living life there. A majority of Buyers will drive by a listing if they like it online, if they do not like what they see at this point they will never bother to physically step inside your home.
Here are 5 quick ways to improve your homes curb appeal and get it ready to list:
1. PAINT YOUR FRONT DOOR! Your home’s front entry is the focal point of its curb appeal. Add a POP of colour with the latest on-trend paint tones. It should add personality and charm that also reflects the interior style of your home. One of my favourite paint colours of the year is “Hale Navy” by Benjamin Moore HC154. It adds colour but is neutral enough to suit most homes exterior finishes. Make sure to clean off dirty spots around the hardware (use a metal polish to brighten up knobs, kick plates & door knockers) and a NEW colour co-ordinated doormat as a finishing touch. Don’t forget to re-stain any fences or decks that are faded and worn looking while you have your paint brushes and rollers out. Replacing any loose or broken boards as you go. https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-ca
2. UPDATE YOUR LIGHTING! Its time to replace those old, rusty and worn coach lamps your home came with when getting ready to sell. Updating your lighting can instantaneously improve the look of your home. Upgrading to larger sconces or overhead pendants is a quick way to take years off your home and make a welcoming statement. These elements add the most appeal when they function collectively rather than mix and match pieces. Find a series that you like best and keep new light fixtures all from the same collection. Keep in mind, nickel finishes suit more contemporary homes while oil rubbed bronze is better for a traditional decor! Make sure to replace any burned out bulbs in your spotlights as well. You need your home to shine brightly, day or night.
3. WASH YOUR HOME! ‘SCRUB-A-DUB‘ Ideally you want your home to appear both beautiful and low maintenance. Taking the time to wash away years of dirt, grime and those messy cobwebs will make potential buyers feel that this home is move in ready. Wash windows, clean out eaves troughs of leaves and debris, power wash garage doors, curbing and drive ways. A ‘Spic and Span’ home is a ‘Sold’ home. If this project is too big for you to handle on your own there are great local companies that, for a reasonable fee, will come and give your home the extra polish it needs.
4. KEEP YOUR LAWN MANICURED! Over grown, weed filled brown lawns gives the impression that your home has been neglected. Take time to properly cut and trim your lawn. Trim trees & prune shrubs, pull up weeds, remove dead foliage, weed flower beds and add new mulch. Purchase new planters that are seasonally appropriate for an extra splash of colour!
5. MAKE SURE YOUR ADDRESS IS HIGHLY VISIBLE! Now that your home is oozing with curb appeal, last but most importantly, make sure your address is easily seen so potential Buyers and their Realtors can locate your home. You can custom order professionally made address plaques or let your creativity flow and make your own. There are many inexpensive DYI projects online that are budget friendly and easy to do!
For further ‘tricks of the trade’ call me at Manor Windsor Realty Ltd. Brokerage to consult. I would be pleased to share with you my professional expertise on preparing your home for resale!
From your 1st Home to your Dream Home, Your Realtor for Life!
Alison Martel, Sales Representative 519-551-4139